Mar 1st, 2013 by Katie
It’s Day 5 of the Ethical Weddings Fairtrade Fortnight Wedding Challenge… and I thought it was probably about time we explained what we mean by ‘fair trade weddings’.
Crystabelle fair trade chunky crystal bracelet by Emily Louise Accessories – see necklace below
In an ideal world, all the products and suppliers we mention would proudly sport the Fairtrade mark but while many of them do, many more cannot yet be certified in this way. So, as well as the mark, we’re looking out for BAFTS (The British Association for Fair Trade Shops and Suppliers) accredited organisations, an equivalent accreditation elsewhere in the world, or if that is not available, some detail on why the supplier believes its products are fair trade – information about how the community they work with benefits from the trade relationship.
We are not all-seeing and all-knowing so if you spot a supplier or product we’ve been praising that you think is undeserving of the title ‘fair trade’, please do get in touch and tell us why.
Accessories coming out of my ears
So, back to the Challenge! Today is Accessories Day and in the world of fair trade, that means lots, and lots, and lots (and lots) to choose from. Therefore I am limiting myself to 8 accessories or I shall be up till dawn.
I hope you like my selection. Feel free to suggest your own fair favourites. And enjoy!
1. Manumit fair trade antique gold bauble cluster necklace from Fashion-Conscience
2. Fair trade Peruvian brooch with turquoise and crystals from Tumi Jewellery
3. Marianne fair trade pearl & bead flower necklace from Emily Louise Accessories
4. Stone cuff bangle from People Tree
5. Tiered lotus fair trade earrings from Aneelo
6. PURE cufflinks in 18 ct Fairtrade and Fairmined Ecological gold
7. Multi flower pearl cluster choker wire wrap necklace from AeraVida
8. Silk Hair Clip: Double Rose from Celia Grace
I couldn’t find a fair trade tiara (try searching “fair trade tiara” and see what comes up!) so if you have, please let me know.
And finally, if you’re considering hair extensions for the big day, have you thought about fair trade hair?
See you on Day 6.
- Sign up to our Ethical Weddings newsletter
- Follow us on Twitter @ethicalweddings
- Join us on Facebook